According to a 2015 study conducted by Metropolis Healthcare on Vitamin D, Vitamin B12 and Vitamin B9 (Folic Acid) to observe the deficiency and sufficiency of vitamins within the inhabitants across India, 75% of population has shown alarming levels of deficiency. Malnutrition refers to deficiencies, excesses or imbalances in a person’s intake of energy and/or nutrients. Indians suffer from various forms of malnutrition:
* Proteinâ€“energy malnutrition (PEM) or inadequate calorie intake
* Iodine deficiency leading to serious mental or physical complaints
* Vitamin A deficiency leading to blindness or a weakened immunity
* Iron-deficiency: nutritional anemia leading to lessened productivity
* Vitamin B deficiency leading to weight & memory loss, folic acid abnormalities & nerve or mental issues
* Vitamin D deficiency leading to weak bones, tooth decay, muscle weakness & poor absorption of calcium.
â€“ compiled by Elizabeth